Everyone has authors, musicians, bands etc. that they will buy anything from, sometimes (or always?) without looking at anything but the name of the writer/artist. We don’t wait for reviews of people and bloggers whose opinions we trust or stick to our buying bans. These books and songs have to be bought right away, they’re of very high priority. And no, this isn’t exaggeration.
So today I’m sharing with you the authors, musicians and bands that are on my “Buy-right-away” list. Okay, the list might not have an actual title, but you get the idea. Each category will be split in two; those who already have a secure spot on my memorized list and those who are very likely to get a spot soon, because they haven’t released enough yet or I need to catch up on some of their other works first to determine if they ‘deserve’ a spot.
Let’s start off with authors! These are the authors who acquired a secure spot already:
- Julie Kagawa – All of the Kagawa books I’ve read so far got at least 4 stars, I don’t think her books will ever disappoint me.
- Susan Ee – The Penryn and the End of Days trilogy is one, or even the first, of my favourites ever. I really need to reread these sometime soon.
- Tahereh Mafi – The Shatter Me trilogy was perfect. I need Furthermore now!
And those who are very likely to get onto the list:
- Laini Taylor – The DoSaB trilogy is fabulous, but I’m not entirely convinced yet.
- Jeaniene Frost – I’ve read (and loved) almost all of the books in the Night Huntress Universe, but there’s something that tells me I need to make sure I’ll enjoy the other worlds she creates before buying everything without second thought first.
- Bronwyn Parry – So far I’ve only read one of her novels (plus a short story) – which I won in a goodreads giveaway – and gave it 4 stars. That was three years ago and I still think of it today, that’s saying something. And I had a short chat via goodreads with her as well, she’s such a lovely woman! Definitely check her books out.
- Kasie West – Again an author that I’ve only read one book of so far. Still, I loved it and am very sure she’ll get on the list of auto-buy authors with the next book of hers that I’ll read.
- Katie McGarry – This might sound ridiculous considering I’ve only read a short story from her, but my stomach tells me I’ll love all her other books. I’ll decide once I’ve read one or two of her full length novels.
- Jennifer L. Armentrout – I’m currently reading the Lux series, so far I’ve finished the first two books and they’re amazing! If her other books convice me like this series does, she’ll get a spot on the list as well.
Note: I’m aware of only having listed female authors above. This isn’t meant to discriminate male authors. I simply haven’t read many books from male authors yet and those that I did read, I didn’t enjoy enough to mention on this list. Once I’ve read more from male authors, I’m sure they will be represented on this list.
Moving on to the bands that have a secure spot on my auto-buy list:
- Rise Against – They got me into this genre in the first place and they will forever be one of my favourites. Maybe even my all time favourite.
- A Day To Remember – I started listening to ADTR right after Rise Against. I discovered both of them because of my best friend, which is awesome.
- Marianas Trench – I love almost every single song from them, therefore they have to be on this list.
- Paramore – Believe it or not, but I only started listening to Paramore a few months ago. The day before Jeremy left the band, to be exact.
- You Me At Six – First YMAS album I listened to was Sinners Never Sleep and that one’s also my favourite from them. Fun fact: Josh read and liked two of my tweets. I might have held my breath for a few seconds because of that.
- Fall Out Boy – Save Rock And Roll is my fave album of theirs. Love it.
- Hedley – Some of their songs are ridiculously funny, I’ll definitely look forward to all their music.
- Deaf Havana – Old Souls was perfect and a good bunch of songs off Meet Me Halfway, At Least also made it into my favourite songs. I’m so excited for their next album!
The bands that are very likely to get on the list:
- Sleeping With Sirens – I need to catch up on their other albums, not only re-listen to Madness all the time. They’re basically already on the auto-buy list, I just want to make entirely sure, before making it ‘official’.
- Too Close To Touch – So far there’s only one full-length album released, but I’m pretty sure their next steps as a band will be big ones. You can read my New Artist Alert to them here, if you haven’t already.
- Bring Me The Horizon – Half of the fandom will hate me for saying this, but I like their new stuff a lot better. Their older stuff was simply too heavy for me and (judge me if you want) their two latest albums’ sound is a lot cleaner. I like that you can focus on different parts of the song now, e.g. drums only, without getting distracted too much. So, if they keep up producing albums like Sempiternal and That’s The Spirit, I’ll buy them all.
Note: This time it’s the other way around, many men and only one woman (Hayley Williams, now Hayley Gilbert, from Paramore). Again, this is not meant to discriminate a gender. There’s simply more men than women in my favourite genres. I’d love to see more women in these genres though.
On to the solo-musicians. The Singers and Songwriters. These already have a secure spot on my auto-buy list:
- Faydee – Ever since listening to Psycho and Laugh Till You Cry I’ve been following his journey and he has definitely come far in the past few years. Back in 2012 he even followed me on Twitter, just imagine my excitement! To that time he had 20-something thousand followers on Twitter. Definitely check him out, if you haven’t yet.
- Mark Wilkinson – Sometimes I like to listen to slower music as well and Mark Wilkinson never disappoints! Heartfelt lyrics and nice, calm instrumentals.
- Dan Talevski – While browsing through YouTube I discovered his covers and subscribed right away, now he has released his own songs and I’ve bought them all. I’m excited to hear more from him.
Singers and Songwriters that are very likely to get on the list:
- None – I really can’t think of any. There’s only those left who I have an eye on, but I’m not interested in all of their songs, so I mix and match what I enjoy. Thanks to mp3-downloads that’s possible and saves some money compared to buying the complete albums. Win-win.
Note: As you can see, no women here either. I do listen to female solo-artists, but none of them are on or near to being on my auto-buy list. They’re still represented in my playlists, don’t worry!
Who do you have on your auto-buy lists? Do you even have such a list?